Bundesverband der Freien Alternativschulen (BFAS e.V.)
(German National Association of Free Alternative Schools)
c/o Freie Schule Kassel
Brandenburger Str. 5
Name of contact person: Tilmann Kern
Year founded: 1988
Number of member schools: 85*
Number of member start-up groups: 8*
Number of students represented: 5,700*
*as of Feb. 2011
The BFAS is an amalgamation of alternative free schools, school start-up initiatives, institutions and individuals. It supports pedegogical reform in the direction of self-determined learning, democratic participation in decision making and mutual respect.
- Advice for member schools and start-up initiatives
- Continued Professional Development
- Books and materials about alternative free schools
- A platform for networking and exchanges between alternative free schools, both nationally and internationally
- Public relations work for alternative free schools
We Aim to Support
- The application of the principles of the UN Childrens Rights Convention.
- Free education
- Increased influence of educational reform pedagogy in the political education debate.
- Equal financing and rights between alternative free schools and state schools.
- Increased public awareness about alternative free schools.