A lot has been written about democratic education in theory and practice. Here is a small collection of interesting articles by students, teachers, researchers and academics.
For other languages, please check the last item of the menu!
If you know of others, please add them in the appropriate section.
- Guardian article: Utopian thinking: why not put children in charge of their schools
- “The Day” Article: Why I believe children should run schools
- EUDEC TALK – 20th June 2021 – version for Progressive Education – Derry Hannam
- Hannam report on research – Libertarian Education
- Talk given by Derry Hannam at the opening of the EUDEC 2008 conference, Leipzig, Germany
- Research on Democratic Schools
- Review of Research into Children’s Rights based Education
- Democratic Education – some notes towards defining the term
- Personalising Through Self Managed Learning
- The problem of treating young people as children – the Caterpillar to Butterfly Fallacy.
- Education: Class Dismissed – Article by Hara Estroff Marano in Psychology Today
- Freedom to Learn – Articles by Peter Gray, a research professor of psychology at Boston College, is a specialist in developmental and evolutionary psychology.
- In Kids we Trust – ODE article about the Sudbury Valley School.
- School for Life – ODE article about the Sudbury Valley School founders Daniel and Hanna Greenberg.
- Free School – ODE article about Summerhill
- List of Publications by Ton Jorg – A Dutch scientist from the IVLOS University of Utrecht with focus on complexity thinking.
- ‘CONVERSATIONS FOR CHANGE’: Interview on democratic education with Rachel Roberts
Online Directory of Democratic Education
Collection of Resources, School Descriptions, important links …
Articles and Essays collected by AERO (the Alternative Education Resource Organization)
Freedom to Learn – The roles of play and curiosity as foundations for learning
Blog by Peter Gray, a research professor of psychology at Boston College, is a specialist in developmental and evolutionary psychology – supporter of Sudbury schools.
Education Cities This is the organisation that continues the original key aspect of the Institute for Democratic Education in Israel (which has changed its original name to The Democratic Institute – Society and Education).
Authoritarian Schooling, David Gribble
Roughly 40 short essays about the damage done by authoritarian education, drawing on David Gribble’s and other people’s experiences at school, books by John Holt, Alice Miller, Jürg Jegge, W. B. Curry and others, and adding sections on staff-pupil conflict, punishment, the ignorance of politicians and a score of other topics.